Seven Encouraging Nightbirde Quotes
Ponder these inspiring Nightbirde quotes from the popular singer, songwriter and cancer survivor.
Have you heard of the popular singer, songwriter and cancer survivor named Nightbirde?
The 30-year-old woman, whose real name is Jane Marczweski, performed on America’s Got Talent, and besides her singing, she also shared some powerful words for anyone facing cancer or other challenges (you can skip below to read Nightbirde’s quotes).
During America’s Got Talent, which aired on June 8, 2021, Nightbirde sang her original song, “It’s Okay,” in front of judges Simon Cowell, Heidi Klum, Howie Mandel and Sofie Vergara.
Simon, famously a harsh critic, called her voice, “absolutely stunning” and awarded her the elusive Golden Buzzer, which means the performer is automatically sent into the live shows, regardless of the opinion of the other judges.
Before and after her performance, Nightbirde, shared about her life, which included being diagnosed with terminal cancer in 2020, where doctors gave her only a two percent chance of survival and six months to live. At the time of show’s taping, she said she still had “some cancer” in her lungs, liver and spine.
Terminal cancer is not the only hardship Nightbirde has faced. Just a few months after her diagnosis, her marriage ended.
Often times, out of such tragedies, some wisdom and perspective can come forth, as it did for Nightbirde.
Here are the seven quotes from Nightbirde worth pondering:
- “I am much so more than the bad things that have happened to me.” Nightbirde shared this before singing on America’s Got Talent. And her words rang powerful and true, like her voice. So often, people who go through suffering, like cancer, can become known for that experience. Like Nightbirde said, we are all much more than the bad things that happen to us, even if one thing has been especially difficult and recent.
- “You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore until you decide to be happy.” I don’t know about you, but I’m still waiting for the day when life ceases to be difficult. Yet the reality is that we often experience trouble in this life. We may have different definitions of what it means to be happy, but we need to choose to find joy and good in our lives, today, even amidst the pain. Not after the pain stops. But right now.
- “Two percent chance of survival is not zero.” All cancer survivors, or anyone facing difficult circumstances need to feel the weight of these words. Nightbirde points to the power of hope. Yes, the odds might be remote, but there is always reason for hope. Miracles happen every day, and the cancer world continues to rapidly advance cancer care and cancer treatment. If you read the comments on the Hope Has Arrived Facebook page, you will see that countless people tell stories of defying a cancer diagnosis. And even if the worst happens, wouldn’t you rather keep hope alive?
- “Just because someone leaves you doesn’t mean that love isn’t real.” A few months after her diagnosis, Nightbirde’s marriage ended. While she didn’t specifically reveal the details, no doubt this has caused her a lot of pain. This is also not the first time I have heard of people share about a spouse leaving them in the wake of a diagnosis. Cancer can also negatively affect relationships with friends or family members. It is a very human response to distance yourself from the suffering of others, but the experience can be hurtful. Yet there is truth in clinging to the reality is that love is real…and that can overcome even the greatest obstacles.
- “It’s easy to put your identity in one thing.” As people, we are tempted to put all of our eggs in one basket. Whether that is our career or our health or a specific talent, we become known for these things and they can become our identity. But what happens when these things are threatened? Do we lose who we are? Nightbirde candidly shares that she finds her truest identity through her spiritual beliefs. See the next point for more details.
- “Some people can’t see God because they won’t look low enough.” This Nightbirde quote appears on her blog. Besides being a talented singer, she is also a gifted writer. On her blog, she shares about a powerful spiritual hope that she draws from her Christian beliefs. “I remind myself that I’m praying to the God who let the Israelites stay lost for decades,” she wrote. Especially in the midst of suffering, God lives in the low of it. He is often right there and we need to open our eyes to him and ask God for help.
- “There are a lot of people who want to hope for something in their life, but are afraid to.” This Nightbirde quote affirms the way many many people want to hope and believe for good things, yet are scared of being let down. Yet hope is what we need most, no matter what situation we are facing in our lives. Let this quote by Nightbirde encourage you to not be afraid to hope, and to keep hoping even when life gets difficult.
All of these Nightbirde quotes tap into our need to find hope, the need to believe in a future good, even when circumstances scream the opposite.
As you have read through these quotes, which one inspired you most? Which one is most relevant to your life right now? Let us know by dropping us a quick note.
Nightbirde passed away on February 19, 2022, after a four-year battle with cancer.
“(She) inspired millions of people around the globe with her messages of faith and never giving up,” said her family.
“Her lasting legacy will be the gift of hope she gave to so many through her music and the strength she found in Jesus.”
Well put. Rest in peace, Nightbirde.
For help with finding hope in difficult circumstances, read Seven Powerful Reasons to Keep Hope Alive.
To find hope like Nightbirde has, read Knowing God Personally.
Looking for more encouragement? Read our latest Story of Hope.
Note: We are not doctors and we cannot answer your medical questions. However, we welcome your questions about finding hope and knowing God.